I love mexican food, it’s one my absolute favorites. Being on a low carb diet doesn’t mean you have to give up mexican food, or any other favorite that you might have, you just have to get creative and find alternative ways to make your favorite dishes. Give this one a whirl, you won’t be disappointed.
Instead of regular tortillas, this recipe uses an egg crepe in place of the tortilla. These can be a little tricky to make, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll use them for everything. If you don’t get the hang of it, you can use low carb tortillas, but the carb count will increase accordingly.
Egg Crepe “Tortillas”
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Beat the eggs, cream, salt and pepper until mixed well.
- Spray small frying pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Once the pan is hot, add small amount of egg mixture, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- These will cook fast, once you can slide a spatula under the crepe, carefully flip over to cook the other side.
- Take crepe out of pan, set aside and repeat for the next one.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 tbsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce (look for lowest carb count – I used Las Palmas)
- 1 cup cheddar/jack cheese mix.
- Saute the onions until tender then add green chilies, seasonings and ground beef and cook thoroughly. Drain excess liquid as needed.
- Add 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup of the cheese to the beef, mix well.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and add in 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Take each crepe and add beef mixture, roll and place in baking dish. Continue until all are set.
- Add the rest of the enchilada sauce and cheese over the top of the enchiladas and bake uncovered at 375 degrees for approx. 20 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, sliced black olives and green onions and enjoy!
Makes 8 enchiladas.
1 serving = 3 net carbs